The rules governing the behaviour of Parish councillors are set out in the Code of Conduct issued by central government in April 2007. Parish Councillors work to rules on how business is conducted, as set out in the Standing Orders adopted by the Parish Council. Ailsworth’s Standing Orders also include information on:
- Procedures at the Annual Parish Meeting;
- Financial Regulations, including Procurement Policy;
- Committee Structure and Scheme of Delegation;
- Terms of Reference of Committees;
- Code of Conduct supplementary guidance;
- Committees and Parish Council;
Information on how the District Council and the local councils (i.e. town and Parish Councils) and Parish Meetings in its area work together is set out in the Parish Charter. This charter is currently under review pending completion of the Parliamentary passage of the Localism Bill and its subsequent enactment.
Ailsworth Parish Council is a member of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Association of Local Councils (CAPALC) which provides support and training for the Parish Councillors and Clerk.